We all know the significance of protecting our skin from harmful UV rays. But, have you considered the role of antioxidants in skincare and their potent ability to further shield your skin? As part of our dedication to healthy suncare, COOLA consistently emphasizes the vitality of both sun protection and antioxidants—both in how we formulate products like our hyaluronic acid sunscreen, hydration mist, and SPF 50 face spray as well as in the information we share with our community. In this guide, we’ll explore what do antioxidants do for skin, and particularly, discuss their ability to protect against environmental aggressors.
What are Antioxidants?
Simply put, antioxidants are molecules that combat free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can harm our cells.1 When we talk about skin health, these free radicals—often resulting from environmental aggressors like pollution and UV radiation—can lead to premature aging and skin damage. Integrating antioxidants in skincare is a crucial step towards defending our skin against these harmful effects.2
What Skin Benefits Do Antioxidants Offer?
Beyond their basic science, antioxidants bring a many benefits to our skin's health and appearance. Let's explore the specific advantages they offer:
Protection Against UV Rays
While protection against UV rays is essential, combining it with antioxidants offers double defense. Antioxidants in sunscreen help in reducing free radicals generated by UV radiation, safeguarding your skin even further.
Combat Skin Damage
Antioxidants mitigate oxidative stress caused by free radicals, slowing the signs of aging, such as deep wrinkles and uneven skin tone.
Preserve Skin Health
Antioxidants, especially vitamins A, C, and E, promote skin cells' health, reduce skin discoloration, and improve overall skin tone.3
How Do Antioxidants and SPF Work Together?
Consider antioxidants and SPF as the dynamic duo of skincare. When UVB and UVA rays hit your skin, they can generate free radicals. While a broad spectrum sunscreen protects the skin from direct sun damage, the antioxidants address and neutralize these free radicals. COOLA's antioxidant sunscreen products marry these two vital components, ensuring optimal skin protection against sun exposure and oxidative stress.
What are the Best Kinds of Antioxidants for the Skin?
In addition to knowing which sunscreen ingredients to avoid, it's vital to understand the prominent antioxidants that play a pivotal role in nurturing and protecting our skin. These include:
- Vitamin C: Popularly found in serums like a vitamin C serum, it brightens the skin and combats free radicals.
- Vitamin E: A hydration champion, it pairs excellently with vitamin C.
- Vitamin A: Wondering how to treat sun damaged skin effectively? Vitamin A is your answer, and it also addresses signs of aging.
- Ferulic Acid: Boosts the effects of other antioxidants and increases sun protection.
- Camu Camu: A powerhouse of vitamin C. The benefits of camu camu are abundant, from reducing pigmentation to improving skin texture.
Harnessing the power of these antioxidants can dramatically improve your skincare regimen, providing a holistic approach to skin health and rejuvenation.
How to Use Antioxidants In Your Routine
Integrating antioxidants into your daily skincare routine doesn't have to be complicated. By understanding the best times and methods to apply these ingredients, you can maximize their benefits effortlessly. Let's take a look at a sample basic routine that ensures your skin is soaking up all the goodness of antioxidants from dawn till dusk:
- Morning Ritual: Begin your day with a vitamin C serum followed by an antioxidant sunscreen. Our hyaluronic acid sunscreen not only offers sun protection but also hydrates.
- Rehydration: A mid-day hydration mist keeps your skin refreshed. COOLA's SPF 18 face spray ensures your skin remains protected throughout the day.
- Evening Care: Following sun exposure, it's pivotal to replenish your skin. You may be wondering, how often should I exfoliate? Incorporate it twice a week, followed by a nourishing antioxidant cream.
Additionally, if you’re venturing into intense sunlight, don’t forget your SPF 50 face spray. Also, our physical sunscreen range is a great option for those looking for mineral-based sun protection. And while we often think about sun protection during the summer, don’t forget to care for your skin during the cold months, too, with these tips to get your skin through the winter.
Elevate Your Skincare with the Power of Antioxidants
Antioxidants in skincare aren’t just a trend; they’re a necessity. From combating free radicals to enhancing sun protection, they are imperative for maintaining skin health. COOLA combines the benefits of antioxidants with reliable sun protection. Explore our range of products, and give your skin the defense and care it deserves.
- Pham-Huy, Lien Ai et al. “Free radicals, antioxidants in disease and health.” International journal of biomedical science : IJBS vol. 4,2 (2008): 89-96.
- Addor, Flavia Alvim Sant'anna. “Antioxidants in dermatology.” Anais brasileiros de dermatologia vol. 92,3 (2017): 356-362. doi:10.1590/abd1806-4841.20175697
- Al-Niaimi, Firas, and Nicole Yi Zhen Chiang. “Topical Vitamin C and the Skin: Mechanisms of Action and Clinical Applications.” The Journal of clinical and aesthetic dermatology vol. 10,7 (2017): 14-17.